“Sangha means spiritual community, and it is treasured because without it awakening cannot be sustained.”
~ Jack Kornfield, After the Ecstasy, the Laundry
Sangha is one of the precious jewels of Buddhist practice, yet when new to a sangha, it can be difficult to meet others, learn what programs are offered, and feel a sense of belonging. The Welcome Committee was formed in June 2018 to make this process easier, to help newcomers feel welcome, and to foster the experience of connection and community. Our intentions include having a diverse committee that will support a rich, inclusive sangha where all feel welcome and safe.
To give newcomers an overview of our sangha and its offerings, we’ve developed a brochure, Welcome to Triangle Insight. This is just one of our initiatives and ideas. As a new committee, our plans are a work in progress, and we’re very interested in your suggestions, feedback, and questions. Our members are listed at the bottom of this page. Please talk with one of us or email us at [email protected].
Current initiatives include:
– Having committee members available to talk with newcomers and any other interested members of the sangha.
– Having a Welcome Table, where we can meet with you at the end of Wednesday evening sangha.
– Sharing information through brochures, the Triangle Insight newsletter, and this website.
– Making available name tags, which those attending sangha have the option of wearing.
– Having a sign-up sheet to receive Triangle Insight’s monthly newsletter.
– Planning small group gatherings where newcomers can meet and get to know others in the sangha.
– Deepening our understanding of any barriers newcomers experience and finding ways to reduce those and encourage more inclusiveness.
With shared commitment to the dharma, we hope our work will be of benefit to all who join us in this practice.