“Sangha means spiritual community, and it is treasured because without it awakening cannot be sustained.”
~ Jack Kornfield, After the Ecstasy, the Laundry
With many members of our Sangha now meeting together on Zoom, and the prospect of connecting in the same physical space still months away, we share the uncertainty and challenge of maintaining and deepening our practice in this new environment.
As the Buddha teaches, the sense of being aware in the present moment is magnified through the joy of connecting with each other as a community over time and in the same space.
The Welcoming Committee exists to welcome newcomers to our Sangha and to offer all members a bridge to ongoing activities. We wish to foster the experience of belonging to a diverse, tolerant community connected through mindfulness practice, where all feel welcome and safe. How can we find this joy of community when we are physically dispersed and yet in the company of so many cherished and new faces during our Zoom gatherings?
We are doing a few things now, and look for suggestions from the whole sangha: well honed practitioners, occasional participants and newcomers alike.
- We have developed a brochure to give an overview of our sangha and some of its activities.
You can download it here: Welcome to Triangle Insight.
- In usual times, the community gathers on Wednesday evenings at the Episcopal Center, and someone from the Welcoming Committee is available to say hello and chat before the meeting. After the meeting, a Welcome Committee member stays to be a resource for any questions that may arise.
- But these are not usual times. The Wednesday evening sangha and Morning Mediation sessions convene on Zoom, and the Welcoming Committee is adapting its outreach to this new virtual reality, should anyone have a question or want to talk about a sangha-relevant topic.
- We have adjusted our function to the new virtual environment in other ways, as well. A Welcoming Committee member now monitors the all-purpose email: [email protected] to answer questions about the sangha, newsletter subscription, teacher availability, and Triangle Insight’s meeting schedules. If we don’t have an answer, we will put you in touch with someone who does.
- If you would like to join the Welcoming Committee as a dana gesture of support for the Triangle Insight Community, please let us know through the still-active email: [email protected].
With shared commitment to the dharma, we hope our work will be of benefit to all who join us in this practice.
Cornelia “Kip” Lee